Monday, October 25, 2010

Avalynn's Birth Story

Our little girl will be two weeks old tomorrow. It is unreal to think not too long ago I was still pregnant and our little girl remained a mystery. She is such a blessing. There are times I look at her and I can't imagine what it was like when she wasn't here. It seems she has always been here with us, which I believe she was, it was just deep in our hearts.

Her birth story began Monday, October 11, 2010. I woke up and had a leisure morning, sipping coffee and watching TV with my sister. I called my doctor to see if I could move my appointment to an earlier time, since my sister had to get back to Memphis after missing class for a few days. Also on that day I was feeling a little down so I decided to get dressed up a bit to lift my spirits. After dressing sassy and many failed attempts to curl my hair, I put the finishing touches on my outfit and Allison and I met Mama and the parents at Chick-Fil-A.


After the delicious meal, my mom and sister left to go to my doctor's appointment. My mother-in-law met us there and we waited and waited and waited to see the doctor. This was the longest time I have ever waited. The hold up was the sonogram tech was backed up with patients. Since we were delayed the nurse took me back to get hooked up to the monitors. This was to monitor the baby's heart rate and to measure any contractions I was having. Everything on the monitor was great.


Then I met with my midwife and everything looked great. We discussed her stripping my membranes to hopefully trigger the beginning of labor in 48 hours. Then I met with the sonogram tech who checked to see how my fluid levels were since I was 40 weeks. The tech asked if I needed to go to the restroom, which of course I did, and asked me to come back when I was done. When I came back my midwife was there and I could tell something was going on, but I didn't feel afraid. The first thing my midwife said was, "Your baby is naughty." We kinda laughed and I asked what was going on. She explained my fluid levels were very low. She explained they prefer your levels to be at the lowest a 5, which my levels were at 2.5. So we needed to get the show on the road.

I asked her if I could bring my support team back so they could hear all the details and also I didn't know if I could relay all the details with a clear mind. So as my team came back she explained what the situation was in a very calm and clear manner. I never felt scared, but the reality of my baby needing to come now was starting to overwhelm me. I just wanted to know she was going to be fine. As we were walking out of the doctor's office it was like a wave of emotions came over me. Thankfully I did have my team there to help talk me through it and assure me everything was going to be ok.

I called Josiah at work to give him an update, he was just like what you would picture a nervous and excited soon to be daddy would react like. I got into my hospital room and things started to progress by themselves. Then my midwife came in to break my water, or what was left of my bag of water, and it was in a matter of minutes it seemed when labor really started to progress.

Since Josiah and I had decided to have a natural labor and birth we were able to walk the halls to help keep labor progressing, get in the birthing tub, and use the birthing ball (yoga ball) to help me get into comfortable positions. I did all of these and much more positions to help me be comfortable. It was definitely hard, but I was determined. There was only one time when I thought I couldn't do it, but thankfully I had a great husband as a coach who helped push me through it.

It seemed time had stood still. I was thankful I had no concept of time. Especially when I found out I had pushed for three hours. But when Avalynn did arrive it was all worth it! It was like an electrical surge had gone through my body. I was so thrilled I did it! The first words out of my mouth were, "Mom, Mom, I did it!" I was so thankful my mom was able to experience the whole experience with me.

There is no way I could have done this amazing fete without all the people who helped me. I am so thankful for the team at the hospital. They were so supportive through labor and helped Josiah and I accomplish our goal of a natural birth. My midwife was also amazing. She was there through the whole process. She helped Josiah know what would help me be comfortable and guided us through the hours of labor. Knowing she was laboring with us was comforting.
Also my mother-in-law was such a great assistant coach. She helped make sure I was comfortable and Josiah was comfortable. Also she was constantly assuring me I was doing a great job.

And last but certainly not least, my amazing coach, Josiah. He was definitely my rock through this. He was there by my side the whole time. He was constantly assuring me I was doing a great job, massaging me, telling me to relax my body, to breathe, feeding me ice chips, etc. When Avalynn came he was just as relieved as I was.

So we now have our little girl here and would like for you to continue to keep us in your thoughts and prayers as we go through new experiences of being a family of three. Keep posted for new and exciting updates of our new journey of being a parent.



1 comment:

  1. Aww Bethany this is great! I love all your great details and am so happy for you guys! I'm so glad everything went smooth and it all happened like you had hoped. You're such a strong person. I can't wait to meet Avalynn hopefully sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete